Wednesday, July 16, 2008

--Merry Blues--




So, I know I just finished praising the work of intergalactically known dance troupe Pilobolus (their vid remains below) - but you know, things change. Sometimes more rapidly than you'd expect.

Though I cried tears of joy and awe after watching Symbiosis for the first time, yesterday I saw them live and in the flesh - and let me state for the record that there were no onions around - no scorpions in my seat - no tear gas or pinches...Last night I also cried a little.

Last night I had the deepest feeling that the dance world was being quickly raped. Again, more rapidly than I had ever expected. Last night...I felt like the Illuminati really did exist. I mean, surely someone has to be the man[m3n] behind the curtain when it comes to those cool [D4ng3r] parties in Brooklyn and those over the top pilates and wellness centers on the L.E.S.
Someone's in charge of the sexy not so hidden hidden bars in the village...and SOMEBODY - is definitely in charge of getting the shmucks at the Joyce theater to charge $44 per ticket for a bunch of "dancers" to play circus and shadow puppets worse than a 5th grade mom and pop recital.

I remember being originally attracted to the group after seeing various videos of their shadow witchery from the Oscars. I watched what they did for the TED convention. It all seemed so genuine and focused. After this show...I really get the inkling that there are some very athletic folk out there riding the big strong wave that is reputation. Sloppy really - and sloppy business of even pretending the show meant something. I left at intermission.

Seriously, what happened to quality of movement? Seriously, what happened to having a deep concern for performance caliber and integrity? You're what? Dancers? No no...you're money makers...money chasers.
What a fucking racket.
ZEITGEIST.BODY JERK nyc hip-hop dance can become something viable too. nyc hip-hop dance can be taken back. nyc hip-hop dance can be a method of radical communication. nyc hip-hop dance can be therapeutic. nyc hip-hop dance can make your soul light up. dance is my religion. I am a dance activist. You can be a dance activist too in the nyc hip-hop dance spheres. Open your eyes and spit out radical forms of communication. Where are all the nyc hip-hop dance activists?BODY JERK ]

No comments: